Best Places to Work: Wall, Einhorn & Chernitzer, P.C.
By Barrett Baker
150 West Main St., Norfolk | 757-625-4700 | WEC-CPA.com
Employees: 85 full-time employees and nine seasonal interns that assist with duties through the end of tax season
With tax season coming up, it’s interesting to find the second largest public accounting firm headquartered in our region to show up on a “Best Place to Work” list. But with flexible scheduling, telecommuting options to help with work/life balance and professional chair massages for employees during tax season, their team members are actually looking forward to spending extra time working.
“Our firm boasts a turnover rate that is significantly below the industry average because we prioritize internal promotions over hiring external talent,” says Marty Einhorn, managing shareholder. “We have received numerous regional and national workplace satisfaction awards, which I believe is due to the respect we show our teammates. We regularly have pop-up happy hours, and our Tax Season Rocks programs allows all employees to be publicly praised for their hard work.”
All employees are enrolled in the firm’s internal mentoring program, which is designed to boost career development at all levels. Employees are also encouraged to participate in the Marketing Activity Program and engage in activities and habits that will aid in personal and career development. Accountants are eligible for up to $3,000 in CPA licensure reimbursement, and those who are identified as potential future partners receive additional coaching.
In 2015, WEC moved into their new, custom-designed office in Norfolk that features an uncommonly open floor plan to encourage unity and accessibility to the firm’s leaders. The offices for all supervisors, managers and shareholders are of equal size, and there are no corner offices. All employees use the same computers and office furniture—including sit-to-stand desks—to promote a sense of equality among team members.
- Performance-based incentives
- Profit sharing program
- Up to $200 in fitness cost reimbursements
- 24 hours of paid time off for participating in the community service of their choice
- Tuition reimbursement
- Internal mentoring program
- Marketing Activity Program
- CPA licensure reimbursement
- Bench Program that offers coaching for potential future partners
- Assistance with cessation programs for smoking and other addictions
- Shortened summer work schedules
- Open floor plan where all offices are of equal size, and all employees enjoy the same computers and office furniture
- Sit-to-stand desks for all employees
- Lactation station for new mothers
- Pop-up happy hours
- Tax Season Rocks program
- Flexible scheduling and telecommuting options
- Professional chair massages during tax season
Why I Love My Job:
“Our firm is led by a managing partner who prioritizes regular personal interaction with each and every employee, attending interviews for all positions within the firm and scheduling 30-day lunches with new hires to gauge their comfort level and opportunities to improve their experiences. The firm has also implemented many ‘green’ initiatives, and employees are motivated to encourage others to work here because they can receive up to $10,000 through our Employee Referral Program.”
—Katelyn E. Sharp, Marketing Coordinator, one year with Wall, Einhorn & Chernitzer, P.C.